Wednesday 8 May 2019

Researching Basics of Exhibition Display

I want my exhibition plans to be very well informed, so I wanted to do some research on the basics of exhibitions, specifically in relation to educational/scientific presentations. Below are the most useful links I found and my thoughts on them...

https://www.redcliffe.co.uk/resources/planning_for_exhibitions.htm
The Redcliffe article was super useful for providing questions to ask myself to help me break down initial thoughts and help me work out what I want to get from exhibiting my work. However, it's definitely aimed more at people who are organising a full exhibition, so a lot of the content involves booking a location, inviting guests, etc. But I still like the inclusion of questions so I will answer a few of them below...

  • Howelestablisheithevenanhowilibpromoted? Because of it being through the university, it's already well established/marketed/promoted. But we're also doing our own promotion, so that definitely helps a lot.
  • Whasorovisitoranhomanmarkeleaderattend? Lots of professionals are invited for the Art & Design Degree show, but not necessarily relevant to my subject, and it's also not that common that all invited people turn up. But on top of this, professionals from across the university do attend. Something specific to me that is important about this is that marketing/communication department for Staffs will be in attendance.
  • WhicTradBodiesupporthshow? n/a
  • Whawathpreviouyear'attendance? No stats, but as attendee of the previous two years, I can say from experience that the open night has consistent foot traffic for the whole evening.
  • Whicpresanmediattend? I know for certain that Staffs Marketing and Comms department will be in attendance (including a colleague of mine, covering the event for a student account), as will the Stoke Sentinel. Other than this, I am unsure.
  • Whaiincludeithcost? The exhibition space is free for me to use, still, what is included is; floor space, wall space, monitor, headphones, plinths/shelves, etc.

https://www.fgsi.co.in/blog/purpose-of-exhibition/
This is one of my favourite articles I've read. I found this super useful and learnt a lot about the basic fundamentals of exhibitions. I learnt that my exhibition will be classed as a multimedia exhibition.

This article also included a list of benefits for students who choose to participate in exhibitions. From these, I've selected the ones most relevant to me and shared them below...

  1. EXPOSURE: exhibitioofcoursgiveexposurtthstudentsexposurtthneedothsocietyexposurtthnediscoverieaninventionsexposurtworkinithgroup.
  2. CREATIVITY: exhibitiodrivecreativitfrodeeinsidthstudentsThstudentsearcanexplorcreativsolutiontthvariouchallengethehavtdeawith.
  3. CRITICATHINKING: sciencexhibitiodemandcriticaanalysioansituatioanthstudentneedtanalyzbotthproanconothchallengeAfteanalyzinthsituatiofroalpossiblperceptionsusinthcriticaabilitthstudentreacthdesireconclusioothsolution.
  4. SOLUTIODEVELOPING: GenerallypeoplfeeanxietonervousneswhefacewitchallengilifeThstudentwheexperiencaexhibitioripethsolutiodevelopinabilityThiabilittnobecominanxiouaninsteaapproactowardthsolutioofindinthbespossiblsolutionhelthstudentthroughoulififacinmajochallenges.
  5. PERSERVANCEThmodelrepresenteiaexhibitioarpreservefofuturreferenceIthiwaynumbeosolutiontseveraproblemarpreserved.
This is a full paper on how museums can improve the learning of the visitors of their exhibits. It's very useful, but took a lot of reading. Another issue with it was that it was definitely high above my 'pay-grade' and far more complicated than necessary for me. Still, it felt good to check out a new, more professional perspective.

Though, again, this article is for larger exhibitions, it is actually my favourite article of any I've read, including ones I haven't shared. It has so many useful tips and ideas for creating exhibition spaces that are effective and beautiful. I'm really happy and relieved I found this article, and intend to share it with the class to hopefully help them out a bit too!

No comments:

Post a Comment